Rollyo - reference


Salsa

Salsa

Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Week 6

So, this week I looked at Del.icio.us. I found it quite hard to navigate around and couldn't install the quick bookmark links as we can't download them on the council PCs, but I saw that this tool would be pretty useful for research. In fact, I'm sorry I didn't know about it when I was writing my Master's dissertation.

I've always used index cards when I research to record key words and thoughts about the usefulness of a source. And this is a perfect way to do it for webpages as it allows you to enter more info about a page than a simple bookmark. I think it would also be a great way to easily group your sources by key word - just a mouse click! And to check for pages recommended by others/get the lowdown on what they contain without having to browse yourself. Only downside I can see is that when faced with a deadline, you'd be very reliant on a good internet connection - not good news for last-minuters like me!

It's interesting to see that the writers of "to a temporary place and time" and "into a new world of librarianship" are embracing the new ways of accessing and adding to available information through Web2.0 technologies, and also maximising their potential to inform and engage users' participation.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you're thinking about how to apply your learning in your life- well done! But, yes, I have to take your point on internet connections... :-)

    ReplyDelete