Rollyo - reference


Salsa

Salsa

Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Week 5

Well I couldn't get the Library Thing widget to work, and I don't really see the point of it either - why would I or others want to search my books on my website? What's the point? If it were the library collection, that's worthwhile, but we already have a function for that. Hmm.
With LibraryThing itself, I think it's a good tool to record your favourite reading, search reviews, share comments and find local events. Cool. But I'm not really into all this stats about each other - 'look how many people share your interest in gardening stuff'.

Ahaa, now Rollyo was good! Professional colleagues have already recommended this to me. I can see instantly how it could be useful in the library to set up certain searchlists for regular customer queries, or just for librarians' own research. It's also really useful to me as a linguist - limiting my search to reliable sites I choose and cutting out all the dross that the internet can throw up. I also managed to add the widget this time following the instructions - so that's something I've learned how to do! I'm feeling more bloggy savvy :-)

1 comment:

  1. Good on you! Looks great too. I use library thing as a bit of a readers advisory tool, it's a great way to find books that other people who like the books you like, like. Woah, too many likes there...
    Keep it up, your blog looks great.

    ReplyDelete